This is a fangirl post.
I will try to be brief in my affection for this incredibly delightful literary character. Let’s limit it to my top five favorite things about Ron:
- Fierce loyalty…like well beyond what most other humans would be willing to give. Not only weighted by the fact that he has five very successful and popular older brothers, but his best friend is one of the most famous wizards of all time and he still shows complete dedication for his friends and family, despite consistent feelings of inadequacy. What he is able to give, he will always give without question.
- Humility and a willingness to admit mistakes. When Ron does have issues with the people in his life, he is always willing to say he’s sorry, forgive, and completely forget the rift in order to have a whole relationship again. Sure, he has a bit of a temper, but he also does whatever he can to make things right, even if it means diving into a pond of freezing water to save his best friend. Part of above, but he NEVER stops caring about a person once he lets them into his heart, and he’s definitely not going to let his own temper or stubbornness get in the way of that.
- Sense of Humor. If you haven’t read the books, you need to because Ron’s character in the films is only 1/1000000000th as funny. Examples: “From now on, I don’t care if my tea leaves spell ‘Die, Ron, Die,’ I’m chucking them in the bin where they belong.” “Enjoying it? I don’t reckon he’d come home if Dad didn’t make him. He’s obsessed. Just don’t get him on the subject of his boss. According to Mr. Crouch…as I was saying to Mr. Crouch… Mr. Crouch is of the opinion… Mr. Crouch was telling me… They’ll be announcing their engagement any day now.” “Aaaaah,” said Ron, imitating Professor Trelawney’s mystical whisper, “when two neptunes appear in the sky, it is a sure sign that a midget in glasses is being born, Harry…” “When we come face-to-face with one down a dark alley, we’re going to be having a shufti to see if it’s solid, aren’t we, we’re not going to be asking, ‘Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?” And so on…
- Passion. He puts everything he’s got into everything he tries to do. When he’s needed to solve a problem, he doesn’t rest until he’s done everything he can to find resolution. Also, totally doesn’t give up on the girl of his dreams and is willing to change anything he needs to in himself to make her happy.
- And for all these reasons, he makes the PERFECT husband for Hermione (and no one will ever convince me otherwise). I intend to write about this at length some day, but for now I’ll say the he complements her in so many ways it’d be ridiculous for them to think about getting on without each other, and also I’m certain that even if they came into marital trouble, Ron would do everything in his power to fix it. Here’s another opinion I really liked on the matter.
- Okay, you get six, because we can’t skip out on the reason I fell in love with Ron in the first place: GINGER
Okay. I’ll stop.
Basically, Ron is awesome.