Tonight I had the privilege of seeing the film The Abolitionists, which is about a private organization, Operation Underground Railroad, that travels the world executing sting operations to arrest child sex traffickers and rescue the children.
The organization was founded by Tim Ballard, who used to work for the CIA and Homeland Security. When Homeland asked him to work in child crime, he hesitated, thinking he could not face the atrocities he knew he’d have to see every day, but after rescuing his first child, he felt it was his calling to spend the rest of his life saving kids.
The film chronicles the first three rescue missions of this organization, in which they arrested seven traffickers and saved 57 children.
Throughout the film there were facts scrolled across the bottom of the screen, some of which included:
- Every 30 seconds, a child is sold into sex slavery.
- The average cost for a night with a child is $300.
- The price for a virgin goes up to $1000.
- There are an estimated 2 million children in sex trafficking this moment.
- Americans are the biggest buyers for child pornography.
I’m writing this so you know that this is real. It’s happening, and it’s happening in your country.
In the past two years of existence, O.U.R. has rescued
529 victims and assisted in the arrests of more than 182 traffickers around the world.