Turning 30 today. To be precise, in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
I live in a culture that prioritizes youth over most things, and grew up in a subculture where it is normal to get married between 20-24 and have multiple children by age 30. I am turning 30 single by choice, and a virgin by choice (most days). But I couldn’t be more thrilled, honestly. There is no hint of anything lost or regret in my mood today or any day leading up to this day. Why?
Because I rock at life.
Actually, because I rock at goals.
15 months ago I set 15 goals to accomplish before I turned 30. The last one got accomplished on October 29th when I went skydiving.
When I look back at what I’ve done in my 20s, I see no reason to mourn the passage of time, but many reasons to celebrate what I’ve accomplished!
- Two degrees
- Living in three different states and two European countries
- Traveling to 17 different countries (including the ones I lived in)
- One humanitarian service trip (more to come)
- Four comic cons/fanxes (this is king in the geek world)
- Published five poems, one short story, and two academic papers
- Written two full length screenplays and countless short films
I could go into more, but that’s a pretty good picture.
Right now I am at the airport waiting for my flight to Disneyland, one place I did not go for the entire decade of my twenties. But I did go to London five or more times so I think that’s a fair trade.
I have two closely related mottos to which I contribute my success:
- You can do anything if you are willing to pay the price.
- Don’t put a price tag on your dreams.
In other words, get out there and make things happen. Live your dreams, no matter how much sacrifice it takes. There is no regret in doing something, only in not doing enough.
Okay also these pieces of advice from Jillian Michaels who is my workout guru and has changed my life while changing my body:
So I’m gonna keep making goals and kicking trash. some things I plan to accomplish in my 30s:
- Buying a house
- Hitting up Australia and Africa
- At least one more Asian country (I’m looking at you, China)
- Publishing a novel
In my 30s I can’t stop, won’t stop, am rising to the top. River Song is gonna be my role model for level of awesome.
Get out there and rock today! 😘